February 27, 2011

What's for dinner: February 27, 2011

Tonight I got the itch to make chicken spaghetti after someone else posted they were making it for dinner. I've never been very successful at it, so, I tried again this evening. Here's the way I made mine after taking a few recipes and combining them. It was significantly better than any other time I've made it before. But, I think it still needs to be tweaked.



5 pieces of bacon
1 med. onion, chopped
2 ribs of celery, chopped
1 can rotel tomatoes and green chiles, drained
1 can cream of chicken with herbs
1 can cream of mushroom
3 c. shredded cheddar cheese
2 5oz. pkgs Vermicelli pasta
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1/2 c. heavy cream
1 c. bread crumbs
Salt and pepper to taste.

1. In a large pot, boil chicken breasts until cooked through. Remove chicken leaving broth. Shred chicken.
2. Bring remaining broth to boil again. Cook pasta in broth. Drain.
3. In a separate pot, cook 5 pieces of bacon. Remove bacon and set aside.
4. In bacon grease, sauté onion and celery. Once tender, add rotel, cans of soup, cooked pasta, shredded chicken, cheese, and heavy cream. Mix. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Mix again.
5. Put in large (3q.+) casserole dish. Chop bacon. Sprinkle bacon and bread crumbs on top. Put in oven on 350 degrees for 15 min.

This is how I made it this evening. It was pretty good, but I think I will saute a clove or two of garlic with the onions next time to add a bit more flavor.

Any other suggestions are always welcome!

Happy dinner!

1 comment: