April 14, 2011

What's for dinner: April 14, 2011

I know my last few posts have only been about food, but, let's face it - food is what brings people together. One thing I try to do often is to surprise my kids with fun, out-of-the-ordinary days. My mom did this a few times for me and they were the best days I can remember as a kid. So, tonight, after dinner and karate, we made deep fried candy bars and some funnel cakes. Can you say yum?

One of my favorite cooking shows is "Chuck's Day Off" with Chuck Hughes on The Cooking Channel. I really wish he wasn't in Canada. One of my next trips with my husband has to be to Canada to visit Chuck and his restaurant in Montreal. I watched a DVR'd show today and he made deep friend Mars bars. Ethan was SOLD. He got a notepad and took down the recipe. Well, I didn't have everything on hand, so I improvised. Here are the recipes for the chicken bruschetta pasta with fried candy bars and funnel cakes.

Chicken Bruschetta Pasta:
Remember that whole chicken I roasted in the crockpot earlier this week? Well, I used the other half for this recipe. If you don't have that, cube 1lb. chicken and cook in skillet.
1 box farfalle pasta (bowties)
3/4 c. chicken broth
1 tub Philadelphia Cooking Creme - Savory Garlic
1 can diced tomatoes - whatever is on sale

Cook pasta. Meanwhile, heat chicken in skillet (if you're using the other half of the whole chicken). Once warm, pour in chicken broth, cooking creme, tomatoes. Stir until will mixed. Pour over pasta. Easy, right? And so so yummy!!!

Now: what you've all been waiting for. You won't believe how easy this was.




Candy bars - I used a Baby Ruth, a Snickers, and a Milky Way (which was the best, in my opinion)
Funnel cake mix - make as directed
Oil for Fry Daddy

Put candy bars in refrigerator or freezer (do not freeze) until cold. Heat oil until a drop of funnel cake batter will cook in about 10 seconds or less. Coat candy bars. Place in hot oil and cook until light golden brown. Try to get them out before the sides burst. Place on a napkin on a cookie sheet to drain remaining grease. Use a medium sized funnel to pour remaining batter into the hot oil in a random circular pattern. Flip after about 5-10 seconds. After another 5-10 seconds, remove. Sprinkle lightly with powdered sugar.

Enjoy! Your kids will think you're the coolest! :)

P.S. Next time I will sprinkle the candy bars with powdered sugar or drizzle with chocolate syrup!

No comments:

Post a Comment