May 17, 2011

My cupcake experiment: Red Velvet

Okay, so, I've gotten into this Cupcake Wars show and OMG. I didn't realize how FUN and different cupcakes could be. So, tonight, I started small with Red Velvet cupcakes. Now, I haven't gotten into the icing fun just yet. One step at a time. But get this! I took a box of Betty Crocker Red Velvet cupcakes and substituted part of the water it called for for Dr. Pepper. Yep, that's right. Good ol' Dr. Pepper. The cupcakes are SO yummy! I don't know if any of you have tried weird things in your cupcakes but I thought this was so fun and interesting. Next time, I may substitute all of the water for DP, but I am afraid it will make them too moist and fall apart. Perhaps I will try this with chocolate cupcakes. Those do so well with substitutes.

In 2 of them, I put 4-5 small marshmallows. Now, I filled the cupcakes up too much, so, I think I'll have to try those again sometime. They were good, but not what I was searching for. The marshmallows kind of burst out the top and boiled over. :-( They were really yummy, but I want to try to perfect them.

In 6 of them, I sprinkled some chocolate chips on the bottom so it would make a chocolate layer on the bottom of the cupcakes, but it really just made chocolate pieces in the bottom of the cupcake. Melty, chocolate chunks, which were super yummy, but also not really what I was expecting.

I can't wait to try another batch of cupcakes. And also some funky brownies. :-) No, not funny brownies, just interesting. HAHA.

Happy cupcake experimenting!

No comments:

Post a Comment