December 29, 2012

Retirement at 65? HA! part 1

One of our goals in 2013 is to pay down our debt... a LOT! Ultimately, we want to pay it off, but I just don't think we're going to be able to do it all in 2013. We are ready to really work hard at it. I am planning to start couponing again on Sunday, we're striving to grow our businesses, and we are really cutting out extra expenses. A few months ago, we cut back our cable bill (the hubs wouldn't let me get rid of it completely or I would have!). Fortunately, when we moved, I got more channels and faster Internet for the SAME LOW price I was already paying with the bear minimum channels. WAHOO! Score one for this momma!

So, while I'm getting financially acquainted with our situation, our goals, our realistic future, I decided to go to Mint.com and start calculating some goals.

I am very familiar with Dave Ramsey and his 7 Steps to Financial Peace, but I have to tell you, even those are overwhelming when you're barely paying your minimum credit card payments!

Dave Ramsey cutting credit cards.
Unfortunately, we were really close to being debt free, and then, we got too big for our britches...and sunk ourselves. What were we THINKING?! You're right! We weren't at ALL! Ugh. I am very ashamed of ourselves... especially since ourselves is really me. After all, I am the one that controls the bills and the money. BOO for that! I miss the Mad Men era when the men dealt with the money. <sigh>



But alas, here we are. In a rut. I am working, we are working really hard to get out of it! In fact, just today we decided that I would take all my Christmas money that we agreed I could spend on myself for a "gift" and put it toward a credit card bill. Do you know how hard that was? I didn't want the interest hitting me on March 1st, though. Maybe I'll get something cool when we get our tax return. We'll see. :) The good news is, once the payment goes through, I'll be DOWN ONE CREDIT CARD! Can I get a what what?!?!


That makes me WAY more happy than getting stuff. I will get my stuff, eventually. I do get a teeny tiny bit of spending money each week, so, I'll just have to sell more cookies and save up my spending money, I reckon. 

{...to be continued...}



No comments:

Post a Comment